John, I second Charm, who has been around more blocks with this stuff than any of us.

My docs never left any room for doubt about rads after my neck dissection. They said it was essential to making sure that any microscopic cells were killed dead dead dead. I trusted them, and although it was tough, at the end of it my RO pronounced the loveliest words I've ever heard in my life: "You're cured."

Also: contemporary radiation, i.e. IMRT or even more modern modalities, is better and better at sparing healthy tissue. Mine was standard IMRT, and although I had a year or so of a very dry mouth, my salivary function did indeed finally come back to a degree that surprised me. I'd say 70%, just guessing. As long as I make sure I have a glass of water handy at mealtimes, I'm ok.

My taste was certainly affected, but long term I don't think the radiation was responsible for those changes (had a nerve or two nicked during surgery resulting in permanent tongue numbness, so that's what's killing part of my taste).

I'm not by any means suggesting that RT is easy. But the alternative CAN be worse. The insurance analogy is just about right.

Keep us in the loop, hey?

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18