I would echo what David has said. I am nearly three years out and I still have eating issues. Also, speech issues at times. Yes. It is frustrating at times, especially on social occasions that involve food. (and in our society what social occasion doesn't involve food). You will find your new normal, however, and things will gradually get better. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen. Your co-workers do sound like a bunch of jerks, but i agree that fear might play a large part in their behavior. My friends and associates have been great, but I do imagine that since I do look pretty good, they often think that I should have put everything all behind me. To be perfectly fair, I have to admit that I didn't know anything about oral cancer until I got it, and had no idea what the treatment and recovery was like.

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.