Hi there - I think age has a lot to do with it - I've heard the same from my dad - he's blessed to be in decent health except his eyesight sucks. If he was diagnosed I think he would do the basic treatment and leave it. No one wants to submit themselves to major trauma in their 70s and 80s - I totally get that. I think were I to get to that age I would do the basics and leave it. Unless I were in super health. Not to say you shouldn't fight if you are older, as life is blessed and we all have friends and family we don't want to leave behind, but I'm saying I would definitely weigh the fallout from the treatment a lot more than I would at 40. However, dying from Oral Cancer is brutal and painful, also not something I would want to have to face in my 70-80's. It's a difficult decision... But it's also one not to be made just out of treatment, put it this way if a woman had to decide right away after giving birth if she was going to have another child, then our population would be a lot less..
smile hugs everyone... You are amazing.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan