Hi folks -- I've spent the last couple of days scanning message boards for discussions related to my own diagnosis/treatment, which is tongue cancer, and I've gotten the best information from this one. So thanks for being here, and I hope you indulge me.

For the last 2 months since my diagnosis (initially thought to be upper denture irritation, which I've had before), I've gone through the expected biopsy, blood work, CT scan/PT scan, consultations with 3 oncologists regarding what to expect from a combo of radiation/chemo, plus having the PEG tube inserted in a couple of weeks.

During that pre-treatment time, the pain meds didn't agree with me (reacted to Vicodin and Oxy like they were the devil's poison and some did absolutely nothing), and I constantly had that sticky saliva which was just as compromising to daily life as the pain. Finally, the combination of MethylPREDNIsOLONE (steroid), 4 mg X 2, and Tramadol-Acetaminophen/37.5-325 also twice a day, has all but eliminated the pain and all dry mouth, aka sticky saliva...which I always found paradoxical...is gone.

So my dilemma is what if this thing is indeed under control? Is it a miracle or just one of those freak remissions? Why would I submit to torture (I know, I know, I should just deal with it) if perchance I don't have to? At least not at my age, which next Tuesday will be my 70th birthday. I don't want to feel miserable for an entire precious year when I have fewer of those left anyway.

I do see the oncologist team on Wednesday 7.13.11, and I intend to ask what the consequences might be (already anticipating the answer), but I'm seriously hoping they will tell me to give it more time, and if my situation does get worse, then I'll be able to proceed with Plan A at that time.

Any thoughts?