[quote=Jenslp]Hey there -are your lips completely clean of any type of moisturizer during radiation? I had skin trouble on my chin and lips and kept moistuizer on during radiation treatments and made things so much worse - didn't even think about my chin being in the path of scattered radiation. When I realized what I was doing (after several weeks) I stopped and my lips and chin eased up quite a bit. Got a lecture from the radiation therapists too!
My lips got so swollen that they had to cut the lips out on my mask! Not sure if the solution for you is as easy (all things being relative during the hell of treatment) as it was for me- but I hope so.

I also tried a medicated lip balm by blistex which was cooling and a bit numbing - if you haven't tried it you might want to!
Good luck to you! [/quote]

Yup. Lips were always wiped clean before.

As an update, apparently I've had a severe reaction, enough to suspend the radiation for a week until my mouth heals. I was burned to the point that I was sloughing off dead skin cells from my mouth (GOOD CELLS, dammit!), so if you can imagine how literally raw the entire inside of my mouth was as well as parts of my lips. I have an appointment on Thursday to see how I'm healing, but other than a scrip for Sulcrafate(sp) for pain and speed healing, I'm hoping I still have enough natural bodily tools to get healed.

One thing I intend to ask on Thursday is why the radiation is targeting the opposite side of my mouth, when all the initial analyses, including CT/PET scans did not show any metastasizing to any other area at all. Ironically, the raw mouth and lips from the burning has been on that non-cancerous side. Good cells were damaged unnecessarily, imo. Why? Just because that's protocol? Seems to me that's, er, overkill.