Hi folks -- thought I'd give ya'll a brief update. First, the closest comprehensive cancer care facility listed is Dartmouth-Hitchcock (Norris Cancer Care), in Lebanon NH, and I spent a couple of hours scanning their site gathering information that I could compare to Rutland VT's Foley Cancer Center where I'm presently being treated. Turns out Rutland also has all the same state-of-the-art equipment, and their treatment program for me seems like it would mirror what I would receive at D-H. I'm very pleased with the team effort and dedication there, and they all make every effort to accommodate all the physical and emotional trauma I have experienced (and probably will in the future).

Yesterday, I had the second "fitting" or measurements for the mask, and today a summary consult with the chief oncologist. He believes the best chemo drug for my particular condition would be Erbitux (cetuximab) which has the least clinical side effects (i.e., no common nausea, fatigue; that the worst side effect is apt to be a rash. So I agreed to have that once a week during the 5-day schedule. First all radiation is on Monday the 18th, with the combo on Tuesday.

HOWEVER, I looked up Erbitux online, and it sure doesn't look as user-friendly (for lack of a better definition) as he described. I realize the clinical trials for side effects listed on the web are small percentages, but I'm constantly reminded of the frightening side effects I had from Vicodin. So here I go getting all scared again. At least since I'll be right at the hospital every day, though, I'll be closely monitored for any unacceptable side effects.

At the risk of seeming like all I do is complain, now the only thing that had me worried is the uncomfortable position I have to lie in for 20+ minutes during the radiation. You see I also have osteoporosis, mild, but still hugely uncomfortable to lie flat on my back on that hard-as-a-rock platform. I've got through it twice, with the facial recognition, but both times paid the price the rest of the day with extremely sore muscles in my neck and shoulders from simply fighting to stay completely still in an awfully painful position.

BUT THERE'S GOOD NEWS!! I now have a neck brace, which I put on whenever I can feel those muscles start to tighten and know that pain will follow. It seems to solve that problem, and I'm confident it will help following each day's radiation treatment. Who knew a $12.00 OTC item would solve at least one of the side effects of this ugly disease which will undoubtedly cost in the thousands!

I'd be interested if anyone has had experience with Erbitux.

Last edited by morgan44; 07-14-2011 02:34 PM.