Happy Birthday to you, etc, and many more!

I think virtually all of us went through some denial. It's hard. But that does not mean you cannot see this through the right way and have a life worth living afterwards.

I hate to throw more at you. You said in one place about meeting with your oncology team and another about starting radiation treatment on Wednesday (tomorrow?) Anyway, I second Catherine's idea about getting the second opinion, which I realize I have already said twice in previous posts. But,then you can compare protocol. And you may be able to use that protocol where you are in Vermont. It's a good thought. I guess what confuses me about your diagnosis/plan is that oral tongue cancer usually is more successfully treated with surgery first; it differs from cancer in the throat/tonsil area, which on this forum anyway, is often HPV related. Unless your cancer is in a place in your mouth that surgery would be really destructive to your tongue . . . If they can't do surgery they will do heavier radiation treatments/chemo. And that might be where you are. I don't know all about it, just have read a bunch in my spare time.

If you have someone to go with you to the meeting that would be great, as was suggested in C's post. And getting an appointment at a larger cancer center is not as difficult as what you might think, just get your records sent, jump though a few hoops, you are internet/computer savy, as has been established!

But, bottom line, I am so glad that you decided to fight what you have.

Best,
Anne

SCC tongue 9/2010, excised w/clear margins:8 X 4 mm, 1 mm deep
Neck Met, 10/2010, 1 cm lymph node; 12/21/'10: Neck Diss 30 nodes, 29 clear, micro ECE node, part tongue gloss, no residual scc
IMRT & 6 cisplatin 1/20/11-2/28/11 at MDA
GIST tumor sarcoma, removed 9/2011, no chemo needed
Clear on both counts as of Fall, 2021