Its probably the thick mucous bothering him. I would cough alot trying to get it out of my windpipe. Many people have rented a suction machine from their medical supply company. Needs a doctors prescription. Every time you take him to the doctor, ask the nurses to suction him out. This will make it easier on him. When coughing so much, your body begins to ache. Im sure he feels lousy enough not to need any more aches and pains. Pick up some Musinex or Robotussin for mucous.

Hang in there, day by day you will very soon begin to see small improvements. Try to begin to set very small daily goals. I would set a goal to walk to the mailbox, then to the end of my street, next down the block and back. Within about 2 weeks, I was walking around the block, enjoying the fresh air. This helps the patient to see their own progress and begin to feel like they have accomplished something.

When the mucous goes away, it will be replaced with dry mouth. Your husband will wake in the night with his tongue stuck to the roof of his mouth. He will need to carry a water bottle with him everywhere. Some members (not me) found success with a medicine pilocarpine (not sure of the spelling). It helps create saliva but it also will make him sweat. Others use biotene products or some disovable strips that they put on the roof of their mouth. That is over the counter in the toothpaste aisle of drug stores.

Best wishes with your husbands continued recovery.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma