Jerry began his induction chemo last Wed (23rd). As I think I shared (no memory here), the team recommended no surgery due to the excessive size of the tumor in neck. The plan outlined was 2-3 cycles of induction chemo followed by chemo radiation and then evaluation for whether surgery would then be completed.

We left the hospital Wednesday nite with the fanny pack and pump in place. At first we were a bit set back thinking the pump might be smaller and less awkward, but after considering the options, Jerry was pleased to be unrestrained to move about. Spent Thanksgiving afternoon with family. He felt well enough to eat quite well! I was thankful for that. By 10 p.m. that night however, he felt like crap. He held it together with the nausea meds, but one of them (Zofran) turned out to be killer on his head. He has always been prone to migraines and the Zofran attacked his head. Then the acid reflex began. By late Fri he wanted off the meds believing they were wreaking more havoc than the chemo. All new to me and feeling helpless watching him, we went ahead and stopped after our required 3-day dosages. Big mistake. Within six hours he was throwing up. I should have held strong recalling advice to stay ahead of the nausea with the meds, but he was very convincing (now I feel more strong about the feeding tube when chemoradiation begins because I do not know that I can fight him with eating when he needs his nutrition) It took a day to catch back up and get ahead but we did. Still feeling like crap but at least not throwing up!

Appointment with doctor Monday was very positive. The tumor in his neck has reduced in size so signficiantly that doctor believes they will stop the induction chemo after 2nd cycle; there will be no third. And adjustments to meds for 2nd cycle will address his continued nausea and headaches (replacing Zofran with Em..?) Planning for chemoradiation will then begin. Doctor believes that by April 1, Jerry should be feeling pretty good. I am praying that is true.

Jerry started running a fever this evening. Working to get that down but just a reminder of how simple complications can just change a whole day! And how this 'event' is such a roller-coaster! Wish I was in better shape to weather the ride a bit better, but because of all of you, it helps alleviate some of my anxiety through your sharing advice, thoughts, encouragement... So again, THANK YOU! Gayle

Gayle, CG to incredible husband, age 53 yrs
DX 10/26/11, never smoked, casual drinker
Stage 4, T2 N3 SCC, right tonsil, node cluster in r. neck
Tx 2-3 cycles induction chemo followed by chemo-radiation 33 treatments w/concurrent cisplatin for six weeks of 7 week treatment
PEG in 02.03.12