Becky Bowles

You should really start your own thread. I know first time internet forum users get confused but I'm 64 and I can figure it out. All you need to do is click on a forum and then click new topic.

Okay, all my lecturing is done. Now to your post. Your husband's doctor's advice does not comport with the NCC guidelines nor with any of our experience. It's not that this forum does not agree, it's the facts and research that show conclusively that base of tongue cancer that has spread to the lymph nodes NEEDS chemotherapy in addition to radiation. But it looks from your signature that "the train has already left the station" in that chemo helps the radiation and your husband has completed radiation. So make sure he has regular and frequent checkups and MRI/CT scans since unfortunately for him, BOT cancer without chemo often comes back quickly. I had maximum radiation as well as 8 Erbitux chemo and my cancer came back but that is because Erbitux just did not work for me and for many others so it's like I never had chemo. There has been discussion that HPV BOT may not need chemo but I was HPV positive so for me that theory was false.
I don't mean to alarm you, and with any luck, your husband will be just find, but insist on regular scans. Chemo has lots of bad side effects, so it is very possible that your doctor is on to something that has not been validated but could be true. So it could turn out to be a blessing
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 11-28-2011 06:25 PM. Reason: toned it down

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13