Bill, I too had been wondering and worrying about you. I'm very gratified that you're taking the right steps. Everything Brian and others have said about the people on this site is true.

As far as feeding tube, impaired taste, etc., as all of us will also tell you: we're all different. Some get a PEG tube, others - like me - do not. In my case though I must admit that I wish I had, because trying to get enough nutrition by mouth during RT was about the biggest challenge I can ever remember. So it's smart that you're taking this step.

You'll be experiencing a whole raft of side effects and I hope your medical staff is preparing you for those. But there are also a raft of ways to help deal with them, including much you can learn here.

As David, Catherine, Sandy and Kelly have just said (and that's all I can see on this page, but everyone else here will tell you the same thing), ask us any questions at any time. We're all here for you. Best of luck getting a place to live near your treatment.

Courage! You'll get through this.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18