Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Christine,
Try opening the soda a few hours before you intend to drink it to let the fizz out and/or pour into a glass with ice and let it sit for a while. That way you get get the taste without the fizz. If you find you like it that way, buy liter bottles. They will go flat fairly rapidly after opening so you'll have flat soda available without having to remember to open hours before you want it. I was never a lover of fizz anyway unless it is in champage so this works for me. 11 years out and I still do it although I can tolerate the fizz if necessary.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

If you can't or don't want to wait, pouring the soda in a glass and stirring it vigorously with a spoon does the trick.

My body just doesn't tolerate the bubbles, period - never has, but about once in every ten years or so a soda looks good to me, and this works.

Lani

SCC part glossectomy 3/06, recur 8/06 glossectomy, floor of mouth, part of jaw removed, RT/chemo thru 10/12/06, PET clear 7/08
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road, unless you fail to make the turn"
Passed away 12/14/08
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

If you want to have fun with your bottle of soda and get rid of the fizz, drop a Mentos candy in it.

If you want to have a LOT of fun, but not have much flat soda left, drop several in quickly!!

http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/consumer/faq/mentos.shtml

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

You guys are a hoot!

I about fell outta the chair at the idea of a dohnut in a blender, the same thing crossed my mind.

Finding such varied accounts of the cange of taste is suprising. Perhaps, just like getting "baby hair" we get "baby taste buds" as we recover.

"Vern food" really helped me keep my weight on, and is actually quite cheap:

1 can of Instant breakfast
1 bottle of ovaltine malt

I will fill a large glass 3/4 of the way up with the powder and then mix in whole milk. It takes a while to disolve.
The malt will really help put on or keep on the pounds, and I drink it with my one real meal a day.

After almost 2 years post TX, my taste is still pretty random, but I seem to notice that I get a set back if I dry out overnight. Hmm, perhaps those taste buds are injured or killed by drying out.

To me: Sugar is weak, salt is strong, starch EWWWWW.

As a note: Cravings for pork rinds came up during TX, my Oncologist said its very common, but he didn't know why.
Doing a full dietary study on myself I discovered that all the instant breafasts and supplements I had didn't have Selenium, if I recall correctly, and I never followed up.

Anyone else?

ENT conjectures before, no PET approved by HMO. Metastasis 11/06. CT 2/07: mass RT sub-mandibular gland. 7 CM mass/tonsil, base of tongue removed, biopsies 2/07 and 3/07. Vein lost, RT face numb. PET scan: spot in chest, un-investigated. Oral surgery 4/07. 3X Cisplatin and 32X IMRT from 4/07-5/07.

[quote=Pete D]If you want to have fun with your bottle of soda and get rid of the fizz, drop a Mentos candy in it.

If you want to have a LOT of fun, but not have much flat soda left, drop several in quickly!!

http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/consumer/faq/mentos.shtml [/quote]Have you ever put a Peep in the microwave?? LOL

I drink coke once in a great while but I have to pour it and let it set for some time first. The carbonation burns my tongue. Heck, just about everything burns my tongue. I'm really working on being able to eat ketchup, though.

DX 6/05 Rt Tonsil SSC advanced to lymph node. Stage 4b. RND, took tonsils, strips off the back of tongue, throat and nose. 19 lymph nodes removed only 1 bad. Once healed, 7 weeks of treatment including 35 IMRT, 7 Cisplatin, 7 Erbitux and 35 nasty Amophostine. Almost 11 yrs out now. Woooo Hoooo!
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Now, almost 2 months later, Im still working up the nerve to try soda again. It looks so good, and from all my taste experiments Ive learned that lots of things look better than they taste. One day I will try soda again. I can do ketchup without a problem, even can eat tomato soup. Its so odd how we can all conquer different tastes.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

So glad that we are talking about tastes. I am trying some foods again post radiation. I learned one thing yesterday - even a really great piece of melt-in-your-mouth Dove chocolate may not be worth all that trouble. What a mess!!

I had tomato soup last Weds at therapy and it was fine. Tried to have some last night and it burnt my mouth. I can have a strawberry instant breakfast shake every morning, but the vanilla high calorie shake that I made this afternoon burnt my flap.

So on the menu this week is cream of wheat, cream of chicken soup, butterscotch pudding and more smoothies with whatever I can tolerate that day. It is very strange that something will look and smell great, but the taste is not so great or worse. What is really bothering me is the smell of things that I know I can't try yet.

I did find that the Special K protein water is good. At 99 lbs still I'm not on a diet to lose weight, but it did tied me over until I got home from the store. I will try Christine's high calorie shake next. My peanut butter is over a year old so I'm sure it is safe to eat.

If you try the donut Vern let me know how it is - I plan to also have blended pizza when I'm ready.

Patty

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
9/06 Surgery, bilateral neck dissection, 58 nodes clear PT2pN0pMx
35 rad 2006
Recurred 6/08, 1 Carboplatin, 1 Cisplatin
Surgery 9/08 - Total glossectomy, free flap from pectoral muscle, left mandible replaced using fibula
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
6/1/09 passed away, rest in peace

Patty, I lived on cream of wheat for months. I think I had my PEG removed too soon. My tastes change still even with my being over 3 years out. One day one thing will be good but I try it later and it's not. I can eat tomato soup somewaht but not much ketchup yet. Any black pepper or similar will put me on the ceiling. If I accidently get something that burns, it ruins the rest of the meal for me because my tongue burns for so long afterwards. If it's something new, I'll have my husband taste it first. I can eat onions and garlic with no problem. Has anyone tried popcorn? To me, it's like trying to eat styrofoam peanuts with salt and lard. I did eat a Krispy Kreme donut once........with alot of water. I could sort of taste it.

DX 6/05 Rt Tonsil SSC advanced to lymph node. Stage 4b. RND, took tonsils, strips off the back of tongue, throat and nose. 19 lymph nodes removed only 1 bad. Once healed, 7 weeks of treatment including 35 IMRT, 7 Cisplatin, 7 Erbitux and 35 nasty Amophostine. Almost 11 yrs out now. Woooo Hoooo!
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics