he had to stop treatment. Why should I think
this will be any different????

Has anyone heard of Proton Radiation? I had
a friend with prostrate cancer and he elected
Proton Radiation for Loma Linda University
in California. There are no side effects from
this type treatment. He is cancer free and has
been for several years. I contacted the
University and sent his records for their review.
They responded by saying that he could have
the Proton and would also have to have regular
radiation, but no chemo???

I need some help and suggests or other options.
He is 48 years old.....

Thanks for your time!!!

Patsy

patsy.

hi just wanted to say hello. My husband too was diagnosed with the same cancer and required same treatment as your husband. I want to tell you that as scary as it is you will get through it. It takes alot of patience on our parts as the caregivers. You will have really hard days and really good days. Just love each other remain positive and be strong. We just finished treatment and I wont lie there is times when you feel helpless as a cargiver that there is nothing you can do but dont let that get you down. I hope all goes well for you and your husband. You will be in our thoughts. As for the Proton radiation cant speak to it.. from canada and never heard of it. Would be interesting to hear more about it. Good luck and keep strong.

PatsyJo Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for your message.

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

My husbands best bud just finished a few months ago at the Loma Linda treatment facility. He had the proton tx for his prostate and was thrilled with the results.

As for the road ahead, I cannot say anything about the Hep C but the rads and chemo are an experience for sure. He had IMRT which burned his skin pretty badly. He has never lost his ability to swallow or talk and he says his throat does not hurt. He completed 37 rad txs last Tuesday.

I know all about the dragging feet thing and I can tell you that the teeth pulling thing almost stopped him from doing any of the txs. I have no idea why he got so stuck on that ONE tooth but he was determined to find some way to keep it. He wanted to do a root canal or something, anything, just not pulling. He took it to an extreme level of frustration until I just went forward, made the appointments and made sure that he was there. It wasn't as devestating as he thought it would be and looking back now, it was the mildest part of this process so far.

I would say that if you can afford to go out to Cali. that maybe you should try it. We couldn't go that far and my husband's best friend lives in New Mexico so it wasn't as far for him. He swears by the treatment though and it was the first thing he recommended to us when Harry was diagnosed. I cannot say about how it works on other kinds of cancer though so you might want to do some research on your own.

I wish you both the best of luck!

Cindy

Caregiver to ex-husband Harry. Dx 12/10/04 SCC stg 3, BOT with 2 nodes left side. No surg/chemo x4 /rad.x37(rad comp. 03/29/05)Cisplatin/5FU(comp. 05/07/05)-T1N2M0-(cancer free 06/14/05)-(12/10/06) 2 yr. Survivor!!!

PatsyJo, welcome to the site. Sorry you needed to find us. I have heard of Proton radiation but I don't know anything about it. One of the more senior members on this board knows about it. In fact, you can do a search on the main menu and get the information previously posted.

Also, one of the guys that has been around the block, sorry I don't remember who, has HEP C as well and went through the entire rad/chemo thing and did quite well. You might want to do a search on that as well.

How many teeth are the dentists recommending to be pulled? I had two pulled and a lot of folks think no teeth should be pulled. Are you being treated at a major comprehensive cancer center now? If not, go to one the get the best care. This isn't the time to cut corners on the cost.

I presume the treatment protocol is similar to mine in that your husband will have 35 rad and 3 ciplatin chemo treatments every 21 days. If that is the scenario, it worked very effectively for me in shrinking the tumor in my lymph node (it mestasized from the primary in the tonsil) and making the surgery much less invasive. If that is your plan it is a good one and worked well for me.

The peg tube is important in keeping the nutrition up which is critical in fighting this disease. He is now in a war and must use all of the weapons he has to beat the disease. It is very aggressive and unforgiving. Hit it with all of the weapons available including the kitchen sink. Pray all will go well with you both and your family.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.
PatsyJo Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks so much for the info....

He already has had 7 teeth pulled but they are
wanting all them out!! We are being seen at
the Texas Cancer Center in Dallas. Our ENT
said it was too soom to go to MD Anderson. It
was highly recommended, but so were other places.
We have to travel 40 minutes to get there.

Your protocol is the same that they are suggesting. Reading the information in this
forum, I am learning about other possible effects
of the chemo/rad that no Dr. had mentioned.
Hearing loss ....did you have that? I am
just really scared about all of this....too
much to take in. What side effects do you
worry about and what else do we not know???

I am trying to keep it together...but I have a
lot to learn.

Thanks for listening!

Patsy

Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi, Patsy. Hang in there...
I can address the hearing loss issue for you. Tom already suffered from tinnitis (ringing in the ear) when he was diagnosed. I suspected a slight hearing loss, as well, but he'd not believe it. His 'baseline' hearing test was actually given after his first cisplatin treatment, so it might have already been on a decline, but I know for certain that his hearing is not as good as it was this time last year. He tells me that very often now, he lives with "the cicadas," as that is the sound going through his head 24/7. I forget to ask if it is now remaining, or coming and going. He hasn't had a follow up test, but I know he won't hear the higher tones at all.
You are doing great "keeping it together," and we'll all help you get to the end of this. As Tammy says, love each other A LOT and keep positive even when he can't. I've really learned what being supportive is all about - and whew! I'm sure glad the worst of that job is behind me!!!!
All the best
Nicki

Nicki, wife of Thomas
dx July 2004, SCC, Stage 4 Tonsil. Tx begun 8/4/04. Cisplatin/Xeloda x 4; IMRT 7 wks, 8/7 - 10/25/04 Modified Radical Dissection (right), Selective Dissection (Left) 12/10/04.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I have hep C, and didn't even know I had it until the CCC I was at requested that I be screened. I had Cisplatin and didn't have any liver issues. They will monitor liver enzyme levels as a precaution. There are several of us here with hep C.

I wouldn't let them pull my teeth. The teeth and gums HAVE to be in good shape to withstand the treatment however.

One thing you forgot to mention about PBT is that they typically use IMRT with it as well. I would have strongly considered PBT if I had it to do over again. MD Anderson feels strongly enough about it to invest 200 Million in a new facility just for it.

Here is a link for information about PBT for those interested: http://www.llu.edu/proton/
or http://www.proton-therapy.org/

We also recommend across the board to always go to a comprehensive cancer center. This disease doesn't like to give second chances. If nothing else at least have them review the case. You must act fast - they typically won't touch it once treatment has started.

It normal for low red and cell counts as a result of the treatment. He can get Procrit and blood transfusions if necessary.

Hearing loss is a RARE adverse effect of Cisplatin. There will be distinct warning signs first and it can be halted before permanent damage. Many of us here suffered temporary hearing loss due to the radiation impact on the eustacian tubes which is a different issue. They should do a baseline hearing test PRIOR to treatment.

Remember that we all respond differently to treatment. There are some here that drove themselves to treatment every day and continued working. People talk about radiation burns on the neck and that varies widely also - I had a mild sunburn and that was it. Don't live in fear of what hasn't happened yet.

I recommend getting a book "Living Well With Cancer" by Katen Moore and Libby Schmais. It was written by oncology nurse practitioners. It answered about 98% of my questions as I went through the treartment and side effects. If you click on the Amazon link on the link below OCF will get a small benefit from this.
http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/products/books.htm

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Gary is correct about hearing loss being rare, but I was one of the "special" persons to whom Cisplatin was very dangerous. After just two treatments, my hearing became ultra sensitive, and things like crumpling paper were extremely painful. That went away but thanks a wise older doc who had seen one of his patients go stone deaf, I was switched to Carboplatin and Taxol and have no hearing loss today. Also, no cancer. Bottom line, it is rare, but it can happen, so pay attention!

PatsyJo, I recommend you go to MD Anderson right away. They are one of the best in the world. I traveled to a cancer center here in Miami and the trip was 60 tp 90 minutes one way (depending on traffic). I drove it all 7 weeks of my rad treatment (except for when I had the chemo when I was checked into the hospital). So don't worry about a drive. It is worth it to get the best treatment. Having all of the teeth removed is an extreme position to take. I am not a doctor, but I recommend you do all you can to keep as many teeth as possible.

Each of us react differently to treatment. I had some hearing loss at the top end, others didn't. I didn't know about the risk, so I didn't get a baseline check before I had my treatment. I don't know how much I lost, but I know I lost some because of the constant buzz in my ears. Oh well, a minor issue compared to what the loss might have been.

Dry mouth is probably the most bothersome issue, but it is dealt with by carrying a bottle of water. That is an easy solution. There is also some loss of strength and a little pain from the neck dissection. I am building that up though and hope to fix it totally some day. The pain is minor, but I have a high tolerance to some pain and I don't take any meds (not even Tylenol) anymore. Others have had a lot of pain.

There are many other issues that occur during treatment. You just have to deal with them as they come up as some patients don't react to treatments and others have a high reaction. We'll be here to help as you go through the treatment.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics