Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#134636 05-26-2011 11:42 PM
OP Offline

I have not started radiation yet is there anything you can tell me to prepare me for this as Iam scared to death.

Last edited by ChristineB; 05-27-2011 07:10 AM. Reason: moved the hijacking post

squamous cell carcinoma,removed part of tongue and lymph nodes on same side.Starting radiation in one week.Scared to death and also feel alone.
sherry1564 #134637 05-27-2011 01:04 AM
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Sherry
Start your own thread and then we can concentrate on your issues alone.

Just click into the introduce yourself topic and then have a look along the top left hand edge and you will see a tab called "new topic". Click on it, give yourself a title and then start typing with all your fears and questions. The good folk here will help you.

But here is something to think about for now ... your fear now is no where near as bad as the reality. Once you have the first dose of radiation under your belt and realise the procedure is fairly straightforward, you will feel much better in your ability to handle it. There are thousands on this site who have been through what you are about to endure and felt exactly what you are feeling now. Chin up - you will get through it.

Very best of luck and I will be waiting for you to start your own thread so I can share my pearls of wisdom with you in epic style (most of my posts go on and on and on ...;)

Last edited by ChristineB; 05-27-2011 07:09 AM. Reason: moved the hijacking post

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
klo #134654 05-27-2011 09:27 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Sherry -

Your fear is understandable -- many of us have been there, too, and the prospect of doing radiation IS scary. As Karen says, though, once you've done one treatment, you'll see how it works and will devise your own way of handling the mask and everything. I used to count the number of times the radiation machine moved from one side to the other, to keep myself distracted. After only a few treatments, the mask became bearable; I saw it as my savior, tried to befriend it in a way. After several treatments, it all became a routine that -- believe it or not -- I looked forward to, just because I knew it was zapping away that nasty cancer!

So hang in there, eat what you can now so that you bulk up a bit before beginning treatment, and keep writing for advice and support. We're here for you!

Chrissy

Stage 2 SCC upper right palate
Hemi-palatectomy and maxillectomy 5/28/09
Six teeth gone
IMRT x30 starts July 13. Completed 8/26/09
Carboplatin and Taxol x6 starting 7/14/09. Completed 8/25/09.
mightymouse #134661 05-27-2011 07:23 PM
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Hi Sherry. Good for you to start your own thread. Back when someone would have said that to me I would definitely have gone "huh" and not known WHAT to do. OCF was my first "message board/forum" experience, but I can assure you it is the best.

There are some things with radiation that you will get through. You won't go around them or near them - you will get THROUGH them. One of them is dealing with the mask. I had a couple of techniques. One was to sing to myself during the treatment and the second radiation bout I actually made my own CD which I took to the Radiation unit and they played it while I was having my treatment. Bottom line - anything to keep your mind focused and busy. If that means multiplication tables for you - so be it.

It is so VERY important to acknowledge that no, you won't "like" it, but you get THROUGH it. They don't last forever and anyone who has sat through a Lord of the Rings Movie (or its equivalent) can get through this with ease. I tend to be very claustrophobic and seriously keeping your eyes closed and your mind elsewhere is key to staying sane.

Other than that - the treatments themselves do not hurt at all. Nada. Nothing. There are side effects you will feel but trust me a year after your treatment you will have almost forgotten about those side effects - so - stay calm and breathe - you can and will get THROUGH this.

Hugs

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)
Pandora99 #134664 05-28-2011 03:50 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Good suggestions above, Sherry - Having something to listen to or occupy your mind with, helps you to know that you are getting closer and closer to the end of the treatment session so you are not wondering how much longer it will take. My son used meditation and deep breathing while repeating in his mind, a calming phrase. Any phrase that appeals to you will do. For example, on the inhale, you could say: "Money in large amounts" and on the exhale: "Flowing freely in my life". Before my son started the Rad Tx, they had a practice session for him where they showed him the room and explained everything that would happen and how long it would take. Do talk to your doctor about you feelings - if the anxiety is really bad, there might be something he can prescribe to calm you before your treatment.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

sherry1564 #134682 05-29-2011 05:32 PM

Hello Sherry: So glad you found this site. I am only two months out of treatment, nine weeks to be exact. This site has helped me enormously. You have come to the right place. I remember when I was making a big geographical move in my life (15 years ago) and a friend asked me if I was scared. I was but hadn't allowed myself to feel it. My friend told me, "If you told me you weren't scared I would have said you were a liar." (He said it kindly.) It made me realize how natural it is to be scared when you enter unknown territory. Your fear shows that you are in touch with your feelings and that is really good. Radiation, for me, was unlike anything else I have experienced. The first 2-3 weeks were okay. I didn't have many side effects. They say radiation accumulates and boy does it. The side effects kicked in after 3 weeks or so and are still with me two months after. But each week after treatment gets better. You will get used to the actual treatment. And you will do fine. You can do it!!! Post often and let us know how you are progressing. I send you healing thoughts. -Michelle

SCC left tonsil, stage IV, HPV+, metastatic to one lymph node. Biopsy 12/23/10; tonsillectomy 1/13/11; DX 1/25/11; Peg in 1/28/11. Peg out 6/29. TX 1/31/11-3/21/11: 35 IMRT plus 3 Cisplatin. Pet-Scan 6/20/11 = CLEAR! Three years out, learning to live with the long-term side effects of radiation while reminding myself to feel blessed.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I also brought my own CDs to listen to during my radiation treatments. I would count the songs, then I sort of had an idea how much longer the treatments would go. My cancer center gave me a long-stemmed carnation and a certificate after I completed all of my treatments. I was treated with kindness and consideration at all times.

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.
zengalib #134724 05-30-2011 07:33 PM

Wow! a carnation and a certificate for completing Tx! All my son got was a throw-up bucket with a couple of paper towels in it! But absolutely everyone there treated him kindly and were always so caring and helpful. When my son "graduated" from Tx I brought them some home made cookies. smile

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Anne-Marie #134732 05-31-2011 04:05 AM

I got a diploma too. My tech's were such cool people. This one very cute girl used to set up my mask and take it off. Every single day she would put it in place and say "perfect" then she would come in and take it off and say "good job". EVERY single time. I don't know if someone had told her to try to do this or if she invented it but for some strange reason I found it very helpful and comforting. Sherry, I know folks are going to freak out on me for doing this but do yourself a favor and do some homework on something called Manuka Honey. It's not proven helpful (YET), but I am convinced that it prevented me from getting ANY mouth sores until my TX was finished. AND...most importantly, ask your Dr. first. You will get through this. I know you're scared. You wiull find streangh. You will learn tons. No matter what you decide to do as far as treatments, doctors, hospitals, etc... one thing you will NEVER need a second opinion on it which website/forum to turn to for help and support. You have already found us. So... welcome.

Lump in left side neck discovered Sept 2009
Misdiagnosed & FNA inconclusive
Large lymph node removed Nov. 2010 SCC and HPV16 pos
PET pointed tonsilectomy Feb. 2011
1ml tumor left side tonsil
Rads scheduled March 14th 2011. 2X36 GY's (72)
CarboTaxol once a week X 4 or 5 starting 4/5/11
No PEG
MaineWill #134739 05-31-2011 08:32 AM

Sherry - all great advice above. Do you like to read? I got an audio book and put it on my iPod and borrowed some portable speakers from a friend (since they wouldn't let me use the earbuds during treatment) and balanced them on my stomach. I won't lie and say I actually looked forward to treatment... but having a bit of the book to listen to each day made it more tolerable. If you do this, pick a book you really like or one you've always wanted to read. Splurge. Read whatever you want!

Please keep us posted, ok? You'll get through this, and we're here to help you feel less alone.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics