Jim,

Welcome to OCF...(Unfortunately). But, you found the best place in order to get great advice from those that traveled this rocky road before you. Before I say anything more..yes..."RUN" don't walk to the best Comprehensive Cancer Center in your area.

My cancer could have been caught a lot sooner but it didn't work out that way. When I finally got to the right crew of Doctors they literally save my life. My cancer was growing extremely fast. I had 40% of my tongue removed and 7 weeks of IMRT, no chemo due to the fact my lymph nodes all came back clear--14 of them were removed. Do I have side affects...SURE...But, I am alive and plan on being around for a very long time.

What was the prognosis if I followed suit with my other doctors that were fussing around...Terminal in 6 months...I probably would not have seen my 38th birthday.

This situation is serious business...and sometimes we have to give a little to receive a whole lot in return...

Go to your CCC and be seen by a group of doctors that deal with cancer on a daily basis...it's the smart thing to do.

Others will explain things more thoroughly with more compassion...

Stay strong!

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better