Charm,

I can taste things which is a surprise to me also. Some things do not taste like I remember them and sometimes things taste awful one day and good a week or so later. I have had the radiation 2X and basically have no tongue - just a little stub on the right side way, way , back there. I thought that I would have no taste buds at all. Possibly your tastes will begin to return also.

At first everything tasted salty, then I began to like chocolate which I wasn't crazy about before, I like more sweets now than before. Guacomole tasted like onions -yuk and chicken bullion tastes like salt - yuk. But the pancakes tasted just like a pancake with lots of butter and syrup. Ironic that pancakes were the last food ate pre-surgery too.

I hope that someday I can sustain myself without the PEG. For now I am learning different tricks to get the food in and how to be safe mostly. I just realized recently that it will be longer than I first thought before I am PEG free, but I am OK with that. I plan to be here for a long time as will you.

Patty

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
9/06 Surgery, bilateral neck dissection, 58 nodes clear PT2pN0pMx
35 rad 2006
Recurred 6/08, 1 Carboplatin, 1 Cisplatin
Surgery 9/08 - Total glossectomy, free flap from pectoral muscle, left mandible replaced using fibula
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
6/1/09 passed away, rest in peace