I had a bilateral neck dissection. Removed Levels I through V, but spared the jugular vein, the sternocleidomastoid muscle and the spinal accessory nerve. Also removed submandibular salivary gland on each side.

Surgery itself is a piece of cake, relatively speaking. You will not be the prettiest thing to look at for awhile, but it really is not bad. I had three drains installed during surgery, all of which were removed before I was discharged. I was working from home as soon as I got discharged, and was back at work as soon as I was allowed to drive, about 2 weeks.

Scar was in existing neck crease, pretty much invisible now. Even though the spinal accessory nerve was not removed, it takes a beating during the surgery. I have shoulder and neck stiffness and discomfort, some lymphedema (referred to affectionately here as "turkey neck"), and residual numbness in the neck. Now, some of this may also be attributable to the spinal fusion surgery I had 3 months before the neck dissection (they used the same incision as a starting point), but docs say most is due to ND.

All in all, it is the easiest part of treatment, by far! Good luck!

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!