I had a PEG tube inserted prior to starting treatment when my RO told about the 30 year old body builder he treated who dropped sixty pounds before consenting to a PEG tube. I figured it would be insurance to have it in and if I could get by without using it, all the better. It turned out that I had to use it because of the throat pain. It allowed me to remain hydrated, take nurishment, and when the pain was especially worse, take some meds. Throughout I tried to swallow as much as possible, but was not always successful. The PEG was removed in October after I could show my ENT that I was eating and maintained my weight for a month.
I too continued to work during this ordeal. I missed probably two weeks total, most at the end of radiation, when I was too weak to do much, a week when they removed the lymph nodes. I am a title insurance agent, so my job is very sedentary, thankfully. The major problem was the oxycodone and fentanyl. I did not realize how dopey they made me. Thankfully, my staff covered for me. While on the oxycodone and fentanyl I did not drive. My youngest daughter is an attorney and she pointed out that any accident, whether my fault or not, would result in no insurance coverage because of the drugs, and in all probability, I would lose my license. That was enough to keep me from behind the wheel. I ended all the narcotics in September with no apparent withdrawal symptoms.
My ENT and OC both told me I would go through hell, but recover. They were so right.
Hang in there, a positive attitude is the best defense.

SCC lf tonsil. Tx started 03/07/07,39 rads,8 docetaxel & 4 bevacizumab. Re-occured 02/19/08 back of throat. Tx35 rads 8 chemo. Tx started 05/05/08. PEG re-inserted April,2007.