Micheal,

Two weeks out from rad I was in the same place you are. It just takes time--things will get better. And I know what you mean about craving all sorts of things. I was at this college event a couple of days ago, that I had been involved in planning from the inception, and it was held at a local place known widely for the delicious meals they serve at events --especially their scrumptious desserts. At lunchtime, I had to go into this little room where I could shut the door, and feed myself a can of jevity. Then I came out and sat with some friends while they ate everything in sight. It was frustrating. What I do sometimes at home with my husband is take great big "smell bites" of whatever he's having (and yes, this does involve sticking my nose practically in his plate). Until you are able to eat again, you'd be surprised how satisfying aroma alone can be as a substitute. Try it. What we sense as flavor in the mouth is largely composed of aromas anyway. I think this is a lesson I'll take with me even after I'm able to eat again and maybe it will help me control my weight when that becomes an issue again (which I actually hope it will--never thought I'd say that).

But I will echo what Terry says about being a little careful. I tried some stuff early one (about 3 weeks out) that tasted so bad and hurt my mouth so much that it amde me not want to try anything else (except iced green tea) for about a month. In fact, I think that not being careful with some of my earlier experiecnes made it harder for me to try later--almost liike a learned aversion to trying to put stuff in my mouth--eventhough I had all sorts of cravings for food still.

As for the salt/soda rinse question, I used it constantly (probably every 10-15 minutes) during adn right after treatment and I still use it a few times a day. It's the only thing that has enver bothered my mouth.

Today I'm going to try some angelhair pasta, thanks for the suggestion, Amy.

I also got new medication for thrush yesterday from my ENT--because I thought I saw a patch in my mouth and I want to catch it before it gets bad. They are little tablets that are supposed to dissolve in your mouth--I try to rinse or brush my teeth right before so my mouth is moist. I have to take them 5 times a day and they taste *terrible* and take about 15 minutes (in my dry mouth) to actually dissolve. But this is day 2 of taking them and I notice the painful spot in my throat is much reduced--which says to me it was probably due to thrush all along that never got fully treated. So hopefully this will help in the long term.

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"