I think whether or not to do radiation first depends entirely upon where the location of the cancer is. As a part of a clinical trial, I had chemo before surgery to shrink my tumor and it did not work. My cancer was oral tongue cancer and radiation is not effective prior to surgery in that case. I have also been cautioned that any surgery or dental work after radiation is cause for major concern since blood flow is compromised. So healing may be a concern especially since she's already been through a major operation. We are not medical experts, so I would ask as many questions to your new team as possible.

If you have not already done so, please consider a multi-disciplinary approach at a major cancer center.

Welcome to the board. I am sad that your family is experiencing this disease. Please keep us posted.

Lynn

Stage 3, N0, M0 oral tongue cancer survivor, 85-90% of tongue removed, neck disection, left tonsil removed, chemo/radiation treatments, surgery 11/03, raditation ended 1/04, lung mets discovered 4/04,