My dental oncologist at M. D. Anderson said the flouride trays are indeed forever. He perscribed Colgate Gelcam (OTC and about 8 bucks for two tubes) 10 minutes every night after brushing and flossing. He explained that our syliva is about 90% water and a number of different compounds in the other 10%. That other 10% is all important in it's protective properties. Additionally, the radiation may have not only affected the quantity of syliva, but also the quality. The flouride trays are our best defense against dental decay that is often just one more lovely after affect of radiation treatments.

In answer to the original question in the tread: I had 4 docs during my treatment: An ENT, rad onc, med onc and dental onc. I also had a nutrionist as well as access to other services such as a social worker if I needed them. I was very lucky to have a great team.

-Brett

Base of Tongue SCC. Stage IV, T1N2bM0. Diagnosed 25 July 2003.
Treated with 6 weeks induction chemo -- Taxol & Carboplatin once a week followed with 30 fractions IMRT, 10 fields per fraction over 6 more weeks. Recurrence October 2005.