El,

I hope the following will help you and your BF get a better understanding of some of the things you mentioned.

Canker sores (apthous ulcers) typically go away in 10 days to 2 weeks. Anyone that has had one will say that they DO hurt. In your first post you mention a small red spot, but you don't say where that spot is. Is it the one under his tongue? Apthous ulcers are usually white with a red border. Apthous ulcers are usually more common during times of stress when the resistance is low. They are caused by viruses that are always present and come out during stress or before or after having a cold.

The bump on the back of his tonue is probably a papilla and if so, it is normal. There are many of them on the back of the tongue. The way you describe the problems around his ear in October could very well have been an infection caused by the piercing. It's good that he took it out.

You don't specifically mention how long the sore under your boyfriend's tongue has been there. If it is more than 2 weeks and it is in the same spot, it is probably not a canker sore.

You've gotten some good advice here and don't give up until he gets to see an ENT.

Good luck and please let us know how he makes out.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"