It's too bad there isn't also some magic way to determine who will or will not have a recurrence. (and how to prevent them for sure!) To Jerry's comments - I agree, if I don't have a recurrence then I know I did the right thing about not having radiation. However, if I do have a recurrence, who knows if it would have happened anyway even WITH R/T? Unfortunately we've seen our own members who have had recurrences after R/T.

Luanee - I have posted before about the clinical trial I am involved in - here's a link to a good explanation of the trial and what it involves.
http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00402779?order=2

Please let me know if you have other questions on it once you read the description - and, as you can see, it's no guarantee that I will not have a recurrence, but I believe the research involved will at least help move this forward.

Ginny M. SCC of Left lateral tongue Dx 04/06,Surgery MDACC 05/11/06: Partial glossectomy with selective neck dissection. T1N0M0 - no radiation. Phase III clinical trial ("EPOC" trial)04/07 thru 04/08 because tests showed a 65% chance of recurrence. 10 Year Survivor!