Francesca -- While not as young as you, and with a more advanced cancer, I took the mindset that I wanted the most aggressive treatment possible to maximize the chance of a long term cure.

With a clinically negative neck and clear margins, I can understand your reticence. Radiation is not fun, but it was better (for me) than I expected, and I am not limited in my activities in any material sense. Yes, my taste is not what it was, but it is improving, and I need to drink lots of water when I eat certain foods, but other than that, my experience has been very positive, and I am presently cancer free.

Studies I have seen show that radiation treatment after surgery and neck dissection does significantly reduce the recurrence rate. Of course, nobody can say for sure whether you would have a recurrence in any event.

It is a highly personal decision, and balancing the side effects with the benefits is difficult, particularly for someone as young as you are and with an early stage cancer. Best of luck, whatever you decide.

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!