Hi Jackie,
I agree with everyones suggestions above. I found that I can't write as much as what the doctor is telling us....and there are so many doctors, interns, rns, social wrkrs....it feels almost impossible to recall what was said. I think a voice recorder would be an excellent tool to take with you, to record what the person is saying, I also think a notebook to write down your thoughts as you are being told different things.
I have two girls who are extremely close with my mom, they are 17 and just turned 11. My older one will talk about it, my younger girl holds a lot in...I bought her a journal, she write s in it anytime she doesn't want to talk about what is bothering her. She has shared her journal with me on a few occasions, the one point that was repeated was she felt insecure because she didn't know what was happening, and felt that everyone else knew and she was more frightened because it was being kept from her. Honesty works best. Our journey so far has been an insane ride...and yet, at the same time, it has brought us all even closer. We've shared so many changes in decisions with my mom, decisions that were out of our control, that as adults it was confusing, for my kids....I can't even label it. I think it helps to be open, it allows them to share their feelings too, and not be so afraid and confused on their own. My sister has a little girl who will be two in Sept. I saw her on Saturday, she looked at me and said, "Mom-mom? Mom-mom's hungry and tired." I almost cried. My niece, while only a baby, knew exactly what mom has been feeling.
This forum has been such a gift to me. I felt like my family and friends let me down. I was scared and alone...until I met my friends here. There is always a light on here, a safe haven, a friend nearby.
Hope your appt went well.

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.