Wow!! Thanks to everyone for all the input. I will try to answer some of the questions.

She wears dentures and has felt them rubbing on something for many months.

You can see a visible swelling in her neck under her ear.

She is in quite a bit of pain already and I made her call her primary care physician on monday to get something (Tylenol #3 for now)

I did not go with her to her appointment last week. She snuck out of the house and took a taxi while I was in the shower...didn't want to bother me she said?!?!!

I called my sister once I found out she was going there alone and my sister met her there. Both mom and sister said alot of "I don't know" when I asked them about type and stage and location. That's why I want to make sure I'm there this friday to ask some questions.

I too thought it was odd that they would want to see her before the CT scan. Perhaps it would be a good idea for me to look into this tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm sure this first month or so is going to be pretty overwhelming and like they say there is strength in numbers.

You guys don't know how calming this is for me to be able to rationally discuss some of these issues.

My sisters are so upset they can't even drive my mom to the cancer centre on friday...my brother is blind since the age of three due to cancer with a relapse last year and i'm not sure if my dad even knows yet.

I must go put the kids to bed now but thanks again for all the caring.

Jackie