Hello again,

Well, we've made it through our fifth week of radiation Tx and the seventh Erbitux Tx. Following is a quick summary of how Pat is doing.

First, Pat's nose is just a mess. Even though her cancer is base of tongue SCC, I think the angles that they are directing the beam must be in line with her nose because it's sure taking a beating. Her nose is quite crusty inside and kind of crocodile skin outside. To help with this I've tried a few things. I take a vitamin E capsule and squeeze it out on a Q-tip and she can get this around her nose and a little bit in the nostril Also, I've been using saline spray as well as cutting up strips of a 4X4 drain sponge and getting it really damp with water and she puts these up in her nostrils. This approach helps somewhat.

The second item I will mention, but the biggest issue, is nausea and vomiting. Pat tries to take some of her meds (pills) by mouth and this will often set off a bout of nausea. Also, for reasons that are hard to pinpoint she will just get nauseous and then have dry heaves. Sometimes this will happen after radiation, sometimes it's over exertion, sometimes it just happens. The thing is that we're seeing a lot of it as we close in on the remaining treatments. I imagine it's just an accumulation of all of it and this goes with the territory.

Third, they made the new mask this week and did the CT boost. So, after this week they will zero in on the primary at the base of her tongue and concentrate on this for the last eight treatments. Pat's med-onc seemed to think this was about as bad as it would get in terms of Erbitux-related symptoms while her rad-onc seemed to think that her radiation related symptoms would continue until treatment was over and persist for a few weeks after treatment.

Fourth, Pat has been getting additional hydration five days per week for the last two weeks. This has made a great difference in that she feels a lot better, plus the damage to the skin around her neck and throat have been minimal. One of the nurses at the infusion center suggested the additional hydration and she was right on the money. From our experience I would suggest this to anyone undergoing this treatment regimen. I've suggested to Pat's two Oncs that they just make the additional fluids a standard protocol. Anyway, it really helped out my sweetheart.

Lastly, Pat's spirits remain very positive. She was a bundle of energy prior to the big C and she often tries to overdo it. It's hard to balance getting her to take it easy versus various projects. Either way I think this is a good problem to have at this point.

We've met many folks during the course of treatment and been able to share in their lives. It's always so interesting seeing the various folks who touch our lives as well as the people we come in contact with. Sometimes a kind word or just listening makes so much difference.

I cannot say enough good things about the OCF forum. What a blessing and encouragement we've found here. Thanks to all for your help, kindness and prayerful support. We've sent many other H&N patients here. Thanks again. Pat say "Hi" to everyone.

Walt

------------
CG to my wife Pat. SCC base of tongue. Dx 2/07 - T2N3bM0. Single lymph node dissection 2/07. Tx started 3/07. Expecting 8 rounds of Erbitux and 30 to 35 rounds IMRT radiation when complete. Trusting the Lord no matter what.