Connie as you know, your "problem patient" likes to do everything his own way. Unfortunately his stubborn beliefs in incorrect data is another part of his being in denial. Im very surprised his denial has spread to his son who now also is ignoring all the known facts about the bad habits. Theres a great many years of research behind why smokers and drinkers are getting OC so much more often than those who do not use those things. I doubt he will ever change his way of thinking no matter how much verifiable, correct, up to date data is presented to him or by who. Of course he will value something coming directly from a doctor more than anyone else. Im sure deep down he really does know the facts are correct but his addictions are whats behind his beliefs and all the denials.

In the end anyone who has/had OC and did NOT change their pre-cancer risky ways are heading for much struggling and suffering down the road when the cancer returns. Although he doesnt realize just how lucky he is, your husband got thru rads surprisingly easy the first time. I doubt anyones luck would hold out for a recurrence! Unfortunately someone who refuses to follow doctors orders and/or to focus on their daily intake is going to have a difficult time of things. Its a matter of time before he has serious health issues which are his body's way of saying... "wise up"! Its all related, his terrible nutrition, ignoring doctors advice, the denial, tobacco/alcohol use, etc. No matter what info you "accidentally" leave laying around for him to "find" he wont believe it. I bet his thinking is so skewed he "knows" the people on the CDC's anti-smoking ads are fake too. Of course they are all regular everyday former smokers who all learned the hard way to avoid tobacco for good. If he truly believed he suffered thru his OC treatments and recovery and it was just awful then he would not ever again pick up what gave him the cancer in the first place.

As you know all too well, you can lead a horse to water...

Hope you are taking good care of yourself and everything with you is great smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma