Hi Connie!

If you do a search for the alcohol debate (to drink or not to drink...) you will find a great many posts on this topic. The main cause for OC is tobacco and/or alcohol so no wonder you are concerned your "patient" is drinking!

The answer to the alcohol question varies greatly among docs and patients. Depending on what the patient has been thru, the doc could say different answers. Some doctors will say an occasional drink is ok but to avoid the "hard stuff". Other docs say a beer or glass of wine are ok in moderation and they're much less irritating to the patients very sensitive post-rads mouth. The key word there is "moderation". I take that to mean once or twice a week to have a few sips or up to once or twice a month having a beer or glass of wince but only one.

Of course everybodys different and docs will take each individual patients history into account when answering the alcohol question. In my situation (Im not a drinker), my doc said its my decision. He said for my situation after having 4 tumors and OC 3 times its not worth the risk. I also asked my family doc who has my entire health history as Ive been going there for well over 20 years. My family doc said I should avoid all alcohol, no drinking. But these same doctors would probably answer that differently if it was someone who had OC once and had several years of cancer-free checkups. Unfortunately almost every person Ive met over the years who has continued to drink alcohol has passed away. Theres only one person left who drinks beer every evening which is surprising considering they've had OC 3 times. I dont know if drinking beer is that person tempting fate, being in denial, or possibly they're an alcoholic? To me, the why behind it really doesnt matter, whats more important is if in the end drinking beer has shortened their lifespan.

Being only a year after finishing rads, your husband is still in the recovery phase where he still has a way to go before he is considered 100% recovered. To me, its not worth the risk, especially in the quantities you mentioned. If the empties are hidden then that tells you everything you need to know. Your husband knows what he is doing is wrong and is attempting to hide it. Only someone who is feeling guilty or embarrassed would bother to hide their empty cans/bottles. Actions always speak louder than words!!! Id bet if your husband asked his doc if its ok to drink he would be told no but it wouldnt influence his current routines.

Check the search and you will see hundreds of posts with varying opinions on this topic.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma