Wow, I'm impressed gabapentin works for so many folks here! And glad. I'm one it doesn't work for (nasty side effects) ... but if you can get that in your system, and other meds as needed, you will be ahead of the game. And ASK if you are in pain. I was stupid and toughed it out, not even realizing that's what I was doing ... I wasn't informed that I had more options for pain relief. (I actually got a comment, "We wondered how long you were going to go ... most patients don't get this far!" Felt like they had a betting pool, LOL. If I'd known THAT, I'd have put money in too!)

As for the milkshakes ... if you LIKE milkshakes, drink them. If you don't, find a different source. Your taste is going to change, at least for the short term (which could be as much as two years for some parts of taste, and some might be permanent), so right now -- with official orders to Gain Weight -- you have license to eat whatever you like, and you should do it. Well, not burning stuff that aggravates the surgical areas ... so hot peppers are probably off the list, alas. But if you're a Golden Girls fan, cue up the re-runs and the cheesecake. (We did!) If you like Dairy Queen Blizzards, get them. (With peanut butter ... that's protein, right?) If you happen to adore salads with special dressings, then go that route in case your favorite dressing changes taste on you for a time after. Seriously. Get that big juicy steak if that's your thing, or eat the whole pound of bacon and let your kids stare at you looking pathetic. (Oh, wait, that was me...) Yes, you want vitamins and nutritional booster drinks for the calories and the balance, too ... but please please please enjoy your favorites as much as your stomach and budget can handle. You'll be glad of this.

You mentioned teeth, and someone told you about the mouthguard, if I'm not mixing up my threads here. USE IT. I didn't, not properly, and I paid for that. It might have happened anyway, but it wouldn't have happened as soon. It was more a depression (who cares, everything is miserable anyway) kind of thing with me. If you get to THAT point, there's help for that too. Starting here, where we will always cheer you on.

You got this! ((hugs))

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads