(Squamous cell carcinoma HPV+ Base of Tongue and 1 lymph-node, surgery 6 weeks ago)

Here we go... My radiation starts next week: 6 weeks, 30 sessions under the mask. I am the only person I've ever personally known to have gone through this - so I am thankful this community is here. And, I have lots of questions.

I am told that, because my tongue and neck surgeries went well, I will be given a "low dose" radiation treatment - However, dosing numbers like "60 to 65 Gy" don't sound low to me. Does anybody reading this have a comment on "Gy's" for oral cancer?

My doc has me titrating up the gabapentin in advance (on my way up to NINE pills a day!). Dear readers, have any of you had experience with gabapentin? Did it help?

What I've learned in advance of my treatment: Fight with all my might to stay hydrated, don't hesitate to take the pain meds (and the laxatives), use the magic mouthwash, expect that healing will be slow. Which pain meds work best? What else should I do? What else should I ask the docs for?

That's what I've got so far. I appreciate any additional words of advice from any of you that has been through this before.

I am scared my teeth going to fall out.

Thank you in advance for your words of wisdom!

-Mark

Mark
Non-Smoker, HPV+ Squamous cell carcinoma tongue and in 1 lymph node neck, 4.8 centimeters. Surgically removed March 2019. 30 radiation treatments starting May 2019