Hi Mark!

I also had tongue cancer. Lost a fourth of my tongue due to my squamous cell carcinoma and also had a left neck dissection. No nodes found positive and clean margins (after second surgery) but since they found three stray cells outside of the tumor I also was recommended for radiation.

It's weird but with tongue cancer like yours and mine, they don't recommend chemo. My doctors have said there hasn't been added benefit found so I also just had to due radiation only.

It's so hard early on to tell you what to do to prepare, since we all handle it differently. Myself, I got through very easily. I drove myself every day, never had too much trouble throughout. I did have the inside of my mouth 'slough' off at some point, I also had a few sores on the inside of my cheeks but it all healed quick. Fatigue sets in but I was off work so I napped when I wanted. Losing taste is probably the worst part, and the change in saliva. You will need to eat whatever you can get down to maintain your weight because they FREAK OUT if you lose weight. I kept ensures and boost and those things around but really I got by on scrambled eggs, soups and hot cereal for the most part. I also drank a lot of those refrigerated latte and frappe drinks from like Starbucks haha! They weren't the healthiest or anything but I figured if I enjoyed them then I'm going to drink them!

Myself, I don't like gabapentin. They used oxycodone for me and when pain increased we added morphine. As pain decreased, I slowed down on morphine until off completely then was left just on oxycodone. I am still on it because radiation damaged a nerve in my throat so until it is completely healed, I have to have something to manage the pain. My Rad Onc. put me on gabapentin to see about switching it out for the oxycodone, but really oxy doesn't have any ill side effects for me so I don't care to switch. My Rad Onc. was fine with this. So now I'm stuck trying to wean off of gabapentin. Not fun. Stomachaches galore when I try to step down too fast. I regret starting it at all to be honest. In fairness, when I eventually wean all the way off oxycodone it will be a process like this also. I would of just rather gone through one and not two weaning experiences.

Good Luck!

Laura Age 40
Tongue lesion on left side grew and was hurting in mid-August
Dx as squamous cell carcinoma on 9.18.18
Left Neck Dissection and tongue surgery, lost a fourth of my tongue on 10.1.18, tumor had grown to a T3
Margins were clear except front section of tongue margin had three stray cancer cells that were not in the tumor
Additional surgery 10.18.18 to remove another cm near where the stray cells were found
33 radiation treatments from Nov 2018 through Jan 2019