Hi Crystal! I hope you're doing well! I went out of town with my boyfriend and stayed busy spending every second with him and basically none on my phone. He works out of town right now so it's just sucky not having him around. I've had doctor appointments every day this week. I'm SURE you know what that's like!!!

No I never did get a feeding tube. I lost a fourth of my tongue in surgery. I basically ate a lot of cream of wheat during and after radiation. Couldn't really taste it but I knew I needed to eat it. My boyfriend completely stocked my fridge with every flavor of Ensure but it was just so thick going down my throat that it made me wanna gag! So there's a bunch of wasted Ensure that's still in my fridge haha.

As far as my friends, eh, nobody tries to be rude, but it's just difficult for them to understand. They want this to be 'over' and to get back to our normal lives where I'm able to do things with them like before. And yes I do have one friend that's pretty impatient and tells me I need to do this and do that and get off pain meds and so on. She obviously doesn't get it that I have my medical team that is responsible for weaning me from pain meds and helping me build my stamina back up and it's not quite as simple as she acts like. I've just resorted to NEVER complaining about anything cancer related to her because she's just going to say something rude and it's just not worth it.

I hate that you have cancer AND the immune deficiency to deal with. I'm glad you are getting care by the top head & neck doctors in your state. I'm sure it helps you immensely that you have doctors that you have faith in!

Laura Age 40
Tongue lesion on left side grew and was hurting in mid-August
Dx as squamous cell carcinoma on 9.18.18
Left Neck Dissection and tongue surgery, lost a fourth of my tongue on 10.1.18, tumor had grown to a T3
Margins were clear except front section of tongue margin had three stray cancer cells that were not in the tumor
Additional surgery 10.18.18 to remove another cm near where the stray cells were found
33 radiation treatments from Nov 2018 through Jan 2019