Hi everyone,

Just wanted to begin by saying that this community is amazing in terms of advice, support, and sheer strength. I'm Michael and I'm a 22 year old college student. I should be worrying about finals right now... but, instead I'm panicking about a lump in my mouth that's recently appeared.

A few weeks ago I woke up to a bony, painless, unmovable lump about the size of a BB gun pellet on the left side of my hard palate. It feels deeply embedded, unpoppable, and like bone. I immediately noticed it with my tongue. I had it examined by a GP, who had no clue what it was, so he referred me to an ENT at a cancer care clinic who I will be meeting with this Monday. I've had all three Gardisil shots (so most likely HPV16 negative) and only smoke marijuana, but I do drink a lot as a college student. At this point I feel that oral cancer is a possibility as it still has not resolved itself after three weeks.

I understand that no one here can give out medical advice, but does anyone have a clue as to what this could be? Torus palatinus is often suggested, but that usually occurs symmetrically on the midline of the palate. I have a solid, fixed lump only on the left side of my hard palate, close to one of my molars.

Just concerned and would appreciate any of your thoughts.