From everything you described, to me it seems like you were given very thorough exams. Getting scoped is why Im saying your exam was very thorough. That doesnt always happen when someone is young and does not present themselves as being high risk or have a cancer history. You got to experience one of our OC patient "joys" of what its like to be a cancer survivor. Being scoped is NOT a fun experience. Its amazing at the things one can get used to when necessary. Since cancer is microscopic and too small to be detected by the naked eye, scopes can easily miss any small irregularity. If its base of tongue cancer and in its earliest stages then it could easily be missed if its inside the base of your tongue. That would not be visible being that small and cant be seen even when using the scope. You are correct with base of tongue cancers are difficult to diagnose since they often are not seen. But... they are rare too and even if you had the right HPV strain, you still may never develop HPV+ oral cancer.

Sorry, I must have missed the part that you did not have a sore/spot/tumor in your previous post! Without a tumor/spot/ sore/ or an exact specific painful area your doctors would not have anything to biopsy. If the tumor is located inside the skin without anything showing on the surface then the doctor wouldnt be able to see it, even with a scope. Unfortunately, there are patients who have OC without their doctors finding a primary tumor. Those patients are very rare too! Do yourself a favor and stay calm. Try your best to avoid getting too far ahead of yourself by inserting yourself into the group of OC patients with no primary tumor. You can only take this one step at a time. It cant hurt anything to have a third, well-qualified, ENT check you out. It sounds to me (with my un-medically educated opinion) you were thoroughly examined and scoped by 2 doctors who both came to the same conclusion . If you sit and wait for a couple weeks to get rechecked that should be ok. In order to feel more productive and pro-active make an appointment with a third well-qualified ENT. Just make sure you get thoroughly checked by the third doc before going back to the other doctors.

I hope this helps to clear things up. Best wishes with everything!

PS... We have a saying around here... its NOT cancer until the biopsy says it is. We frequently have new members join our group after having a couple symptoms, they're convinced they have oral cancer. Luckily, a biopsy reveals the majority do not have cancer. Cancer is a thief!!! It steals your time and keeps you from being happy and living your life without worrying. I know its very difficult to not worry, but right this minute you do NOT have a cancer diagnosis. Make the best of your time and do positive things to avoid letting cancer get away with stealing your time. Ive been in your situation and completely understand how nerve wracking it is to not know for certain if you have cancer or not. Fortunately, Ive had a great many more negative biopsies than positive ones. Do your best to be strong, stay busy to help overcome that horrible feeling of dread. In the long run, less worrying will make you feel better.

CCC is a Comprehensive Cancer Center. Thats the top cancer facilities where they use a team based approach so all the professionals are on the same page. They bring everyone together including the patient and caregiver if they'd like to attend the meeting. Thats called a tumor board meeting. Its been scientifically proven patients who are treated at CCC's fare better than those who go to small regional hospitals. The doctors at the CCCs are the brightest physicians who are the most experienced in complex cases. Being treated at a CCC for example is to get treated by a team who has over 50 OC patients a month vs the small regional cancer facilities may see one or 2 cases a year so they are not as experieced.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma