Hi and welcome. As has already been said both the physical and mental reactions you describe are typical for this stage. I remember being irritated by Christine's relentless nagging about calories! But she is absolutely right. Without nutrition the recovery from treatment takes months longer. Months of added uncomfortable symptoms, side effects and mental anguish.

One thing no one can really appreciate until they are in the situation is how quickly the taste can change. Something you can eat one day suddenly takes nauseating the next. Even water. There are a variety of great high calorie recipes around and my wife did a great job of becoming very inventive with the changes in taste. But a lot of that effort was wasted because something fine one day was tossed in the bin the next.

Simple flavours with strong smells worked for me, like coffee and peanut butter. For example she did a peanut butter and cream sauce for rice. It smelled like peanut butter, and regardless of what my screwy taste buds were telling me my sense of smell was able to convince the brain it was ok to swallow.

Its a moving target and patience is very important for both of you. It might not feel like you winning, but stick with it you are doing a great job.

Cheers, Dave (OzMojo)
19Feb2014 Diagnosed T2N2bM0 P16+ve SCC Tonsil.
31Mar2014 2 Cisplatin, 70gy over 7 weeks (completed 16May2014)
11August2014 PET/CT clear.
17July2019 5 years NED.