Murphy,

I'm sorry to hear of your biopsy results as we were all hopeing in was something other than cancer.

Just to let you know, I had radiation 5x, over 200Gy, both external and internal radiation to the same areas in 3 years, some which was for many recurrences (7). I had IMRT 2x, High Dose IORT 2x during neck dissection surgeries, which a newer form of Brachytherapy, and Proton Radiation 1x, which is high precision radiation that spares adjacent structures, and has no exit wound, but is only done in about two dozen centers in the U.S.

In order to do this successfully and safely, with even more radiation than my original primary cancer, I had combination of treatments, including three types of radiation, a pec flap during a neck dissection to bring fresh tissue to the area radiated, and another time, I had my carotid arteries removed, so I have no blood flow to one side of the neck.

So it's possible to do reiiridation by experienced radiation oncologists and in experienced comprehensive cancer centers, in select patients, and such depends on many factors including the areas to be radiated, consideration for minimal side effects/morbidities, age, co-conditions, type of radiation, total prior grays to area, time between last treatment, which is mentioned no less than 6 months, etc.

It's difficult to say what or may not occur, but radiation toxicities are usually based on the type of radiation, the areas to be radiated, the dosage amount (Grays), daily fractions, frequency (weeks), if radiated before, if with chemo, age, physical condition, and other co-morbidities.

Have they also suggested any chemo?

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI