Hi all, I was treated and cured of squamous (spelling) carcinoma (again spelling - haven't looked at diagnosis for a long time) to larynx, stage 2 in 2010. I went to Moffit Cancer Center, Tampa, Fl ( Dr Andy Trotti) for treatment. Since that time, I have more doctors keeping check on me than I did when I was being treated. I'm not complaining that I was cured. That was a good thing. When I went in for treatment, my health was excellent (except for that one final detail) and my immune system was right on. All bodily organs were excellent. Since that time, slowly but surely, I have to see a medical oncologist for kidney and liver (mostly kidney) damage. Nothing serious yet, but docs need to keep an eye on it. That was the chemo damage. As you probably know if you're head and neck patient, radiation kills your thyroid function. I am still working to get the proper meds to control that. I was a small to medium person - I have gained 45 lbs. I do not eat a lot. Along with that, pulmonary problems developed. My lung capacity is 37%. Yes I can still function and I'm not on oxygen. But exercise is tough and I need to do that.
Anyway, the reason I'm writing this is because this past week, I had to take my 92 old father to a medical oncologist because of a possibility of a problem. (Because of his age, we will just keep an eye out) Anyway, my father mentioned my experience with cancer. Doc told me that head neck cancers are the best for cure but the worst for continued survival. Meaning that the cure rate is great, even saving the voice box. However, the heavy meds they have to use to cure us - will likely cause many different health issues the rest of your life. Radiation never leaves your body and can keep coming out in different ways (over and over) just like the energizer bunny. No one is the same, so they can't tell you what issues you will have. My husband says they did tell me this going in - but I sure don't remember that conversation. Has anyone else got any stories and how they are dealing with it. My problem is that I want to be like I was before the cancer. Thanks for listening to my little "rant."
Sandy