Kimberly... how long is too long is a relative question...

It really depends on you... on an anatomical level.

I had my issue for over two years. I had seen my GP, 2 dentists, and an ENT - and had a negative biopsy in the middle of all of it.

I had had a sore tongue for a bit - as you may know - I had the molar that was irritating my tongue filed repeatedly and was finally referred to an ENT and had a NEGATIVE BIOPSY - a year before I was actually diagnosed.

My second biopsy noted well differentiated SCC (it is the aggressiveness that makes a difference) I have been a vegetarian for years, worked out daily and did yoga, no smoking no drinking no drugs etc... (I was a sugarholic though!!! and wasn't the best when it came to healthy eating - I liked processed foods a little too much - and organic? well.. not a priority... Food is food right? NOT!!!) Anyway, I contribute my fairly healthy lifestyle (aka - REALLY GOOD IMMUNE SYSTEM) with keeping the whole situation under control for as long as it did.

Had I had other health concerns things might not have been as doable (treatment wise)

My initial scans showed no spread. Once they biopsied me within 3 weeks I had a node pop up and it wasn't a small guy (1.4 cm)

The pathology reports after my surgery were moderately differentiated on the node.

Poorly differentiated is harder to catch but easier to kill (poor cell structure - more susceptible to damage) but it can be highly aggressive and spreads fast and to distant areas more quickly. This is why i always say... time is of the essence no matter what.

and also why a T1 tumor can be life threatening in some ways more so than a T3... It all depends on the aggressiveness, and you. Daily habits? Overall health? Stress? and your metabolism.

I am not sure why but the younger people tend to have a more aggressive form. Maybe because they are more metabolic?

So really some people can have this for years and walk away, and some can have it for months and not.

Hugs. And try not to worry... both of you. Lisa - so glad you are healing.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan