Hi all,

So the partial glossectomy and selection neck dissection were done on March 25th and surgery went well. Will get the pathology results on April 10th and have been home since March 28th. Although I went back in yesterday to see if the white crud that was on my tongue where the sutures were is normal - turns out it is... And, seems like I'm a bit of a worrier now.

The surgery went well - I had a lot of nausea post-op but that finally subsided once I dialled back on the pain meds, and other than a very stiff neck, and the endurance of a day old, am not feeling too bad.

The sutures are coming out on Wednesday - am finding the recommended neck stretches uncomfortable as I feel like I'm going to pop the sutures. Actually had a dream that my head fell off...

Tried semi-solid food today but that didn't work out so well - yogurt and protein shakes are fine though for now.

The surgeon was happy that we went ahead and did the neck dissection as I had 'a lot' of lymph nodes and the needle biopsy wouldn't have told us all we need to know. And, she was pleased with the tongue and they took an overly generous margin so that's good. Other than than the white stuff, it seems to be healing up okay.

I'm finding friend/family's reactions to me a bit hard - some just started to cry right away - others do a huge double take.

Thanks

Age 48, Rabid non-smoker, Mom, horse lover
Diagnosed SCC Feb 11/14
CT Scan showed three larger than normal lymph nodes
Partial Gloss & SND Mar 25, 2014
Nodes Clear/ 3mm margin / RADs recommended
Began RADs May 20, 2014 (30 in total) ENDED June 30th