I found my PEG to be a great tool in helping me do my part in effectively getting through TX.

I've always been baffled by the psychological satisfaction some people seem to get by going through this without a PEG.

Maintaining good hydration is an absolute necessity and without the PEG I doubt I could have. Even with the PEG, in the last week I had a bad spell and couldn't keep anything down. Within just a few days I needed IV's.

A PEG will likely help you keep you weight up. Excessive weight loss requires not just a new mask, but re-imaging and re-planning to maintain optimal RT. Too often this doesn't happen leading to a sub-optimal TX.

Breaks in treatments (particularly early on) often lead to significant cancer cell regeneration and can increase the risk of recurrence.

If your team is confident they can manage your treatment without a PEG, and if necessary insert one timely with no break in your treatment schedule then it should be fine, but if you end up missing many treatment sessions, don't be fooled into thinking they can just tack those on at the end and achieve as effective a results.

Don
TXN2bM0 Stage IVa SCC-Occult Primary
FNA 6/6/08-SCC in node<2cm
PET/CT 6/19/08-SCC in 2nd node<1cm
HiRes CT 6/21/08
Exploratory,Tonsillectomy(benign),Right SND 6/23/08
PEG 7/3/08-11/6/08
35 TomoTherapy 7/16/08-9/04/08 No Chemo
Clear PET/CT 11/15/08, 5/15/09, 5/28/10, 7/8/11