Re the thyroid, record the number of his TSH level from a blood draw analysis pre Tx and keep it just in case his thyroid craps out like many of us that had the radiation. That number seems to be unique to each individual and the challange is to achieve that pre Tx number once on Synroid post Tx.

He really needs to fatten up before the effects of radiation begin to take it's toll. Most of us lost tons of weight during Tx.

Has he gotten dental trays? If so he should start wearing them every night starting now. I wore mine 1 month pre Tx, mostly during Tx and 5+ years post Tx. I recently stopped with the permission of my dentist.

You mention the MO, are there nodes involved? If they recommend chemo and they recommend Cisplatin, ask if they would consider weekly infusions vs 'The 3 Big Bag" method. Most seem to fare better in the nasty side effect arena with the weekly bags and no study has concluded one method is superior over the other especially considering his HPV+ findings.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.