I had the procedure today and I'm glad I stayed. If I had gone home it would have been a much longer recovery and probably not as effective.

Doctor said biopsies would be in in a day or so but he saw nothing that looked like cancer to him. Given the fact that oral cancer surgery is a huge part of his practice I am very relieved.

What used to look like a miniature field of cauliflower now is just very pink skin (that new skin look you see when you pull the top off a blister). Doctor removed all the necrotic tissue. He also did a neat little procedure with my Uvula. One spot on my soft palet was deeply necrotic. The doctor sliced my Uvula in half, top to bottom, and then folded one half of the Uvula over the spot and stitched it in. Each half of the Uvula was still attached at the top so the half he used to fill the bad spot had its own blood supply. Luckily the bad spot was close to the Uvula. Now I have a very skinny Uvula as one half is otherwise occupied.

I plan on writing the ENT back home a letter. I have to assume he will be treating other patients no matter how I react. I would rather send him a letter that tempers his inclination to declare �cancer� and all the attendant bad stuff that goes with it so quickly. Maybe I can convince him to wait until the biopsy results are in before saying too much. I would rather be firm and convincing and hopefully change his behavior, than just write an in your face letter that pisses him off.

All in all a very scary few days with a good result from a great doctor.

On my way home in the morning.

Kelly
Male
48, SCC (Soft Palet) Rt.,
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
Dx, 8-09, Start IMRT 35 9-2-09 end 10-21-09
04-20-10 NED
8-11 recurrence, node rt. neck N2b
10-11 33 IMRT w/chemo wkly
3-12-12 PET - residual cancer
4-12 5 treatments with Cyberknife & Erbitux
6-19-12 Pet scan CLEAR