I really had a hard time near the end of my treatment and post treatment. I weighed in at 187 lbs. the first day of treatment. I recieved my first dosage of cispaltin and the first of too many radiation treatments. Certain smells made me nausous regargless of where I was (fuel, coffee, bacon, eggs, burt toast, meat cooking)very common smells just would make me feel horrible and became worse as time and treatments progressed. I would vomit at the thought of food sometimes. By the second chemo treatment I had lost a little over the 10% the doctors told I was not alowed to lose more than before they would stop treatment. I still continued treatment. By the last treatment of chemo I ended up with a gastral nasil tube which worked for about a week and got me through the final part of treatment. Post treatment My wife and I tried to continue with the tube feeding and meds in liquid form. I hit a brick wall and would throw it all up and would remain nausous reguardless if it was isosource, medicine or water. I amitted myself to the hosptal after the May longweekend here in Canada at 140 lbs. Ii had lost 25% of my overall body weight and was hospitalized for thirteen days hooked up through my P.I.C.C line in my are and fed TPN. The GN Tube was removed the first day. I felt better by day five but all the meds and blood work needed to be monitored daily and meds and TPN all liquid so I had up to five lines in me at one time on one IV pole. I looked like a science exsperiment. It got me through. I have been home for about two weeks now and am finding it a challenge to get the cals into me. I am sustaining weight but not gaining. The suggestions are very helpful on this site but sometimes a full bowl of soup will take two hours to consume and shakes an hour. My throat has gotten a little more sore lately and is exspected as I have read. I have increased breakthrough pain meds to combat the pain but doesn't always work. Time is what will tell. My new saying is "This is not the rabbits race but the tortoises. Slow and steady wins the race." I know what to exspect and the information helps and supports us patients in recovery, so I believe the tortoise will win if I keep a steady and easy pace. I tried to get better too fast too soon and found myself flat on my ass doing so. Slow and steady with a positive additude will surely prevail.

SCC HPV 16, Dx Mar 08/12, 7 weeks rads (35 treatments) 3X cisplatin, NG tube X 3 weeks, TPN in Hospital post rads for 13 days.