Hi again... The flap breaking down makes me wonder if perhaps they didn't get it all maybe they should get larger margins or as Christine said inadequate blood flow... I'm assuming it's the tongue/floor of mouth we're talking about. I'm Canadian so I'm not sure if duke is a ccc - and how experienced they are with OC - I would find out - someone here may have been treated there - maybe they will pipe in. I can tell you a young girl on here last year had similar issues - flap would not take... It was redone several times - I think this was partly due to cancer stil in situ - and ultimately infection that became systemic. (she had it redone 4 times! ) I think this is a job for a very very skilled surgeon (very small space, very delicate surgery), and I have to tell you when I had my surgery my SO/ENT operated first then they had a plastic surgeon/ ENT rebuild my tongue and the floor of my mouth. It wasn't a picnic, but it was well done, I have amazing mobility with it and I lost a 3rd. I think you're right to be concerned - ask a crapload of questions get the details and research the responses. Congrats on getting through breast cancer... That's no picnic either! Hugs... You can do this.

Last edited by Cheryld; 04-12-2012 07:05 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan