Hi, Louis.
Welcome to the OCF forums. I hope you don't have to be here, but we are here for support and to steer you in the right direction. I completely understand your fears. I'm glad that you are being proactive in your medical care. Many people of your age aren't so tuned into their bodies and think that they are "bullet proof"...been there myself. I also have been exactly where you are now. Rule of thumb is that it's not cancer until a biopsy says so. It's impossible to look at an abnormality in your mouth and make a diagnosis. If you have an area of concern for more than 2-3 weeks, that warrants a trip to an oral surgeon or ENT for an evaluation/biopsy. Please don't let anyone tell you that "it's nothing". I very may very well be nothing, but you'll need a biopsy to prove it.

I am on the younger side and did not have any risk factors or "fit the profile" like you and many others here. Approximately 25% of OC cases have unknown cause. I had oral tongue cancer, which is different than base of the tongue cancer (BOT). I'm not sure if you've been following the news stories lately, but there is a lot being reported on a high-risk strain of HPV which causes certain BOT/oropharyngeal cancer. This is not to scare you, it's just to let you know that you are being smart in seeking a diagnosis. Call your doctor on Monday and ask for a referral to an oral surgeon or an ENT. You should not have to wait more than a week for an appointment. If you call an office and the wait is longer, go somewhere else. Oral cancers are very treatable if caught early. There are many survivors here that have had advanced cancers, went through treatment, and are still here today. That being said, treatment is much easier if you catch the cancer when it is small and has not spread.

When I first came to this website, I had not yet been evaluated/diagnosed. I found it very overwhelming, but that is my anxious personality. There is a lot of valuable, physician-reviewed information on this website. I know it's extremely difficult not to get ahead of yourself. Please do not look at the statistics and freak out. Every case is different and early detection is key.

I thought I was being paranoid in thinking that my symptoms were oral cancer, and it turned out to be true. No one thought it would come back positive, but it did. That is not to say that will be the case for you, but you are not crazy for being worried and seeking information/advice. You are absolutely doing the right thing.

Just put one foot in front of the other and do the next right thing. Be your own advocate and insist on a biopsy because it's been there long enough to warrant one. Hopefully, it is nothing but a nuisance and then you can relax! Please keep coming back to these forums and keep us posted. We are here to answer any questions and help out in any way. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here and I'm sure you'll find whatever you need.

Best of luck. Nice to "meet" you.

With care,
Kerri

37 y/o fem at Dx (23 wks preg @ dx on 3/16/11)
SCC L oral tongue (no risk factors)
L partial gloss/MND 3/28/11 @ 25 wks preg
T1-2N0M0; no rads/chemo
Tonsillectomy on 8/6/12 +SCC L tonsil T2-3N1M0 (HPV-)
Treated with 35 rads/7 carbo & taxol (Rx ended 10/31/12), but many hospitalizations d/t complications from rx.
Various scans since rx ended are NED!
Part of genetic study for rare cancers @ MGH.
44 years old now...I wasn't sure I would make it! Hoping for 40 more!