Yesterday's appts were informative. Interesting how when we left the radiation oncologist we were leaning for radiation-chemo no surgery. After next appointment with medical oncologist, we are now leaning for surgery with radiation with chemo as determined necessary. Obviously we have not a clue but still working to understand. The medical oncologyst works with a local university in Denver who he is referring us to for a second opinion. If the appointment is not soon, we may forgo even tho I am hopeful we can get in this week yet. Scary part of second appt was the information that the cancer is growing rapidly -- 14X surrounding tissue.
So, selfishly, back to the removal of all nodes... has anyone experienced the repercussions of edema from a total removal of all nodes in neck? I ask because at the age of 11 they removed all my lymph nodes in groin resulting in a significantly disfigured leg I have managed emotionally and physically. Kids at 11 can be quite cruel. Anyway, no pity part here -- 'lived' is key word. My nodes had been removed in anticipation of finding cancer, which they did not. So, just some understanding of why we are nervous about the removal of all nodes. It's that weighing treatment vs long-term life quality. Thank you for allowing me to be open and honest and not feeling like a real ignorant selfish person.

Gayle, CG to incredible husband, age 53 yrs
DX 10/26/11, never smoked, casual drinker
Stage 4, T2 N3 SCC, right tonsil, node cluster in r. neck
Tx 2-3 cycles induction chemo followed by chemo-radiation 33 treatments w/concurrent cisplatin for six weeks of 7 week treatment
PEG in 02.03.12