Welcome to OCF! You have found a great place for support to help you and your husband thru this. At this point there are all kinds of appointments and tests. Some things you may want to take care of prior to starting treatment. Get a full blood test so the doctors know what your husbands normal numbers are. Make sure to include the thyroid. Visit the dentist and get a mold made of his teeth in case he needs radiation. He would be using flouride trays. Get a complete hearing test including high pitch frequencies. Some chemo can cause hearing issues. Most importantly, have your husband eat everything he is hungry for. He should try to put on a couple pounds as any treatment he gets will probably make eating difficult for a while. Most oral cancer patients lose significant amounts of weight. When he is going into treatment weather it is surgery or radiation with or without chemo, he wants to be in good shape. Eating healthy is very important.

I understand all of your concerns regarding your husband's treatment options. While we can give you lots of info and support, only you and your husband can choose his path. Personally, I would consider throwing everything at curing his cancer so he only has to go thru this once. That should take precedence over playing or coaching sports. I dont want to scare you but this is way more important than a hobby. Many of us oral cancer patients have completely different lives now that we have gone thru treatments and become survivors.

Best wishes with all the tests and planning!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma