Welcome to OCF! Im sorry to hear about the loss of your father and now what your FIL must go thru. Its not an easy surgery to go thru. Its very long , mine was 10+ hours. Only a couple days ago I wrote to another new member about the mandibulectomy.

If your FIL is able to eat at this point, try to get encourage him to eat all your favorites before the operation. Especially things like a cheeseburgers, mexican, pizza, a nice thick steak or any spicy foods. Its not an easy surgery to get thru but it can be done. It will be a while after this kind of operation before he will be able to eat these things again.

I want you to understand we are all different and will respond to procedures and medications in our own unique way. While I had my share of set backs and struggles, others have sailed thru it easily. I would say your FIL will need help for at least 6 months. I prepared by writing out all my checks for my bills and wrote detailed instructions for my son on how to pay everything and when. I gave my dogs away and moved to an apartment near the hospital and my doctors. I had lived out in the woods about 45 minutes away. Here is a blog I made about my mandibulectomy.

http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=102049#Post102049

The best thing you can do is to make sure your FIL never goes to appointments by himself. Always write down all the questions and the answers. Ask if the doc minds the session being recorded as its nice to sometimes be able to go back and listen to what they said again. Ask for a possey muir valve for the trach. It will enable him to talk without any difficulty. Make sure you ask every single doctor and nurse about this prior to the surgery. I was still telling everyone about it on my way into the OR. Even with the possey muir valve trach, still take a dry erase white board and markers. While your FIL is in the hospital, try to always have someone there with him.

Best of luck with everything!!! We are here to help guide you so dont worry. You will have lots of support to help your FIL.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma