Pat

Good thing that you have an appointment with the Plastic surgeon. Going by the response from your ENT, he is not the most helpful person, especially when he has contradicted what the plastic surgeon said.

Swelling from this sort of surgery can takes months to go down. According to your signature you just finished radiotherapy and chemo only a couple of months ago. So it will still be very very swollen.

It would be a good idea to take a list of questions to the next appointment with the Plastic surgeon and go through them with him/her. Include questions regarding what will be done about the exposed bone and also exactly what they have done with the tongue and floor of your mouth. They should have explained that to you in detail before they actually did the surgery.

During my reconstructions and rebuilding, the plastic surgeon played a major part in them and also the maxillofacial surgeon coordinated all the surgeries/treatments to do with my jaw (mandible) bone.

The ENT has had zero to do with me after the original surgery to remove the tumor. As I'm still receiving treatments involving my jaw the maxillofacial surgeon is now in charge of everything including checkups, regular scans etc.

Karen

46 yrs:
Apr 07-SCC 80% entire tongue removed,T4N1M0
Neck/D,Jaw Split, Trache 2 ops,PEG 3.5yrs
30 x rad,6 x Cisplatin,
30 x HBO
Apr'08- flap Recon + ORN Mandibulectomy
(hip bone to reconstruct jaw)
Oct'08 1 Plate out-jaw
Mar'09 Debulk flap
Sep'09/Jan&Nov'10/Feb&Jun'11/Jan&Jul'12/Oct'13/April'14-More surgery